Macromolecular Crystallography School 2021
(Institut Pasteur Montevideo)
September 20th – October 1st, 2021
Hands-on workshop with lectures, practical tutorials and plenty of time for problems-solving with X-ray diffraction data
- data collection (remotely @ Diamond synchrotron, measuring students’ crystals)
- data processing
- phasing and structure determination
- model refinement and validation
- Alejandro Buschiazzo (Institut Pasteur de Montevideo, Uruguay)
- Kyle Stevenson (STFC Rutherford Appleton Lab – CCP4, Didcot, UK)
- Nicole Larrieux (Institut Pasteur de Montevideo, Uruguay)
Speakers and tutors
- Rafael Junqueira Borges (Instituto de Biociências UNESP, Botucatu, Brazil)
- Kevin Cowtan (University of York, UK)
- Eleanor Dodson (University of York, UK)
- Paul Emsley (Laboratory of Molecular Biology MRC, Cambridge, UK)
- Elspeth Garman (University of Oxford, UK)
- Beatriz Guimarāes (Instituto Carlos Chagas Fiocruz, Curitiba, Brazil)
- Marin van Heel (Lab. Nacional de Nanotecnologia CNPEM, Campinas, Brazil)
- Ronan Keegan (STFC Rutherford Appleton Lab – CCP4, Didcot, UK)
- Eugene Krissinel (STFC Rutherford Appleton Lab – CCP4, Didcot, UK)
- Andrey Lebedev (STFC Rutherford Appleton Lab – CCP4, Didcot, UK)
- Natalia Lisa (Instituto de Biología Molecular y Celular, Rosario, Argentina)
- Richard Garratt (Instituto de Física de São Carlos, Brazil)
- Garib Murshudov (Laboratory of Molecular Biology MRC, Cambridge, UK)
- Joana Pereira (University of Basel, Switzerland)
- James Parkhurst (Diamond Light Source, Didcot, UK)
- Randy Read (University of Cambridge, UK)
- Silvia Russi (Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Lightsource, USA)
- Nukri Sanishvili (Crystallographic Education and Research Assistance, Chicago, USA)
- Isabel Usón (Instituto de Biología Molecular de Barcelona, Spain)
- Clemens Vonrhein (Global Phasing Ltd, Cambridge, UK)
Bring your crystals!
Remote data collection will be held at Diamond Light Source synchrotron, and the workshop staff will receive students’ crystals previously to the beginning of the course, also ensuring they are properly shipped to the synchrotron. This is a great opportunity to learn how to collect in remote mode, and to solve the problems with your own data.
We also encourage you to bring X-ray diffraction data to be analyzed during the workshop. Students bringing in their own crystals and/or data will be prioritized at the time of selection, so please make sure you provide this information within the application form.
A maximum of 25 students will be accepted
Stay tuned to this page for future news.
How to apply?
Fill out and send the Application form, together with the following documents (in pdf format) ::
- short CV (max. 3 pages)
- letter of support from your laboratory head
Deadline for applications: June 30th, 2021
1) Clear statements about how crystallography is important for the applicants’ ongoing scientific project (application forms, CV and supervisor’s letter);
2) Although not exclusive, priority will be given to: advanced PhD students, postdocs or young researchers; applicants working in South America; students bringing in their own diffraction data and crystals.
3) Important!! This course was normally given hands-on here at the Institut Pasteur Montevideo, and we provided one computer for each student. Now that it will run fully virtual, having your own computer is essential! We will have a preparatory session one week ahead of starting the course, so that we help you out with installing everything we need and make sure everything runs properly. Let us know in advance about which operating system you will be using (it is in the application form)
The full program is being defined, please take a look at previous editions to have a taste of the subjects and practical activities that we typically cover.
Stay tuned! updates with further details will be published soon.
For further informations, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Collaborative Computational Project Nº4 (CCP4, UK) & Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC, UK)
- Centro de Biologia Estructural del Mercosur (CeBEM)
- Integrative approaches in Structural Biology and cryo-Microscopy, MICROBES consortium, CYTED