- Postdoctoral Research Fellow and Research Fellow, Department of Pharmacology and Chemical Biology, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA. Research area: drug development for conditions related to inflammation. (2006-2007).
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for Free Radical Biology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL, USA. Research area: Free Radical Biology and Inflammatory Mediators. (2004-2006).
- Ph.D in Biochemistry, Faculty of Science (Udelar) and Pedeciba, Uruguay. Dissertation: “Inflammatory oxidants and atherosclerosis: role of nitric oxide-derived species” (2005).
- MSc. in Biochemistry, Faculty of Science (Udelar), Pedeciba, Uruguay. Dissertation: “Amino acid sequence and three-dimensional structure of Tn-specific isolectin B4 from Vicia villosa” (1997).
- Doctor of Medicine (MD), Faculty of Medicine, University of the Republic, Uruguay (1996).
- Batthyány, C., Souza JM, Durán R, Cassina A, Cerveñansky C and Radi R. Time course and site(s) of cytochrome c tyrosine nitration by peroxynitrite. Biochemistry 44, 8038-8046, 2005.
- Batthyány, C., Schopfer, F. J., Baker, P. R., Duran, R., Baker, L. M., Huang, Y., Cervenansky, C., Branchaud, B. P., and Freeman, B. A. Reversible post-translational modification of proteins by nitrated fatty acids in vivo. J Biol Chem 281, 20450-63, 2006.
- Batthyány, C., Kelley, E. E., Hundley, N. J., Woodcock, S. R., Bonacci, G., Del Rio, J. M., Schopfer, F. J., Lancaster, J. R., Jr., Freeman, B. A., and Tarpey, M. M. Nitro-oleic acid, a novel and irreversible inhibitor of xanthine oxidoreductase. J Biol Chem 283, 36176-84, 2008 (co-first author).
- Schopfer, F. J., Batthyány, C., Baker, P. R., Bonacci, G., Cole, M. P., Rudolph, V., Groeger, A. L., Rudolph, T. K., Nadtochiy, S., Brookes, P. S., and Freeman, B. A. Detection and quantification of protein adduction by electrophilic fatty acids: mitochondrial generation of fatty acid nitroalkene derivatives. Free Radic Biol Med 46, 1250-9, 2009.
- Khoo, N. K., Rudolph, V., Cole, M. P., Golin-Bisello, F., Schopfer, F. J., Woodcock, S. R., Batthyány, C. & Freeman, B. A. Activation of vascular endothelial nitric oxide synthase and heme oxygenase-1 expression by electrophilic nitro-fatty acids. Free radical biology & medicine 48, 230-239, doi:10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2009.10.046 (2010).
- Bonacci, G., Schopfer, F. J., Batthyány, C., Rudolph, T. K., Rudolph, V., Khoo, N. K., Kelley, E. E. & Freeman, B. A. Electrophilic fatty acids regulate matrix metalloproteinase activity and expression. The Journal of biological chemistry 286, 16074-16081, doi:10.1074/jbc.M111.225029 (2011).
- Gil, M., Grana, M., Schopfer, F. J., Wagner, T., Denicola, A., Freeman, B. A., Alzari, P. M., Batthyány, C. & Duran, R. Inhibition of Mycobacterium tuberculosis PknG by non-catalytic rubredoxin domain specific modification: reaction of an electrophilic nitro-fatty acid with the Fe-S center. Free radical biology & medicine 65, 150-161, doi:10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2013.06.021 (2013).
- Batthyány, C., Bartesaghi, S., Mastrogiovanni, M., Lima, A., Demicheli, V. & Radi, R. Tyrosine-Nitrated Proteins: Proteomic and Bioanalytical Aspects. Antioxidants & redox signaling, doi:10.1089/ars.2016.6787 (2016).
- Vascular biology
- Drug development
- Inflammation related diseases
Carlos Batthyány Dighiero, 52 years old (1969), married and father of two daughters
MD and PhD with a postdoctoral degree in pharmacology, who has worked on the design and development of drugs for the treatment of cardio-, immuno-, metabolic diseases (e.g. metabolic syndrome, obesity, type 2 diabetes, atherosclerosis). He has published more than 50 scientific papers in international peer-reviewed journals and holds more than 8 patents. Co-founder and Chief Medical Officer of Eolo Pharma Inc. founded in 2016, a company that is currently initiating the first human clinical trial in Australia (phase 1A/B) with a drug developed in coordination between the Institut Pasteur laboratory in Montevideo, which it leads, and other scientific teams that are also part of it. This drug is aimed at the prevention and treatment of obesity and its metabolic complications (metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes).
- Assistant, Assistant and Adjunct Professor, Department of Biochemistry, University of the University of the
Republic, Uruguay) from 1991 to 2016.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Manuel Pérez Foundation of the Faculty of Medicine
from 1995 to 2003. Creation of the Programme for Biomedical Research (Pro.In.Bio.). Academic Coordinator of the programme from 2016 to 2018, Institut Pasteur de Montevideo, Uruguay.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for Free Radical Biology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA (2005-present).
- Research Instructor, Faculty, Department of Pharmacology and Chemical Biology, University of
Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, EEUU (2006 and 2007).
- Associate Research Fellow, Analytical Biochemistry and Proteomics Unit from 2007 to 2016; Institut
Pasteur de Montevideo, Uruguay.
- Principal Investigator and Head of the Vascular Biology and Drug Development Laboratory,
Institut Pasteur de Montevideo, Uruguay (2016 to date).
- Co-founder and Chief Medical Officer de EOLO Pharma Inc. (2016 to date).
- Active member of the National System of Researchers (SNI) (Level 1 of 3), Uruguay (2011-2016) and
promotion to Level 2 in 2016.
- President of the National Society of Biosciences (SUB), Uruguay (2014 – 2016).
- Academic Coordinator (honorary), Institut Pasteur de Montevideo, Uruguay.
- Executive Director, Institut Pasteur de Montevideo, Uruguay (2019 to date).